The Honors College aims to foster a community of scholars through in-depth academic study, research opportunities, and social and cultural events where students can interact with each other and with faculty. The undergraduate Honors program in Communication is intended to stimulate and challenge our best students, and invite them into the working world of professional communication scholars.
How to Participate with Honors in COMM
1. Admission to Honors Program
Students are admitted to the Honors College either upon admission to the university or through the Honors College Nomination Process. Check the Honors College website for instructions on how to apply.
2. Become a Communication Honors Major
To be admitted to the Communication Honors Major, students must complete COMM 101 and COMM 228 with grades of at least B in each, and a cumulative GPA of 3.5 between these two courses. After completing COMM 101 and COMM 228 and meeting the GPA criteria, meet with your academic advisor in Communication to be enrolled in the Communication Honors Major and discuss your Honors program.
3. Complete the Communication Major with Honors
After being admitted to the Communication Honors Major, complete COMM 300 and at least 3 units of Communication skills coursework (COMM 113, 114, 117, 119, or 312). Then, complete the rest of the coursework for the major and acquire sufficient honors units via honors contracts in individual courses. Students should identify themselves to their instructors as an honors student and agree upon an honors contract for selected courses.
Requirements to Graduate with Honors in Communication
These requirements apply regardless of the student's chosen major.
- Maintain at least a 3.5 GPA in Communication courses as well as a 3.5 overall GPA.
- Complete at least 24 units in Honors courses (12 if a transfer student).
- Complete an Honors thesis (COMM 498H) under the direction of an Honors thesis advisor. You will acquire an Honors thesis advisor by asking a member of the Communication faculty to work with you in this role.
Communication Honors students may apply non-Honors Communication courses toward graduation, and Honors courses taken in other departments may be applied toward the total of 24 Honors units required for Honors graduation.