Business Travel

Are you a Communication employee or graduate student planning to travel on university business? Your travel must be authorized by our department with a Travel Authorization Form prior to your departure. This form is to be signed and authorized by the Department Head or Business Manager and not by the traveler (you).

Please review the university travel guide and the frequently asked questions below for more information.

How to Submit a Travel Authorization Form

1) Visit and search "Travel Authorization Form".

2) Download and save the PDF file.

3) Fill out the following required sections. Note: You do not need to sign this form.

  • Traveler Information
    • Check either Employee (for faculty and staff) or Student
    • Dept/Org Code: 3505
  • Travel Details
    • Business Purpose: What are you attending? What will you do there?
    • Mode of Transportation (i.e., air, car, bus, taxi, et c.)
    • Duty Post: Tucson, AZ
    • Designated Lodging: Does the conference offer a hotel for attendees (usually at a discount rate)? If so, did you reserve a room through the conference? If one is available but you did not reserve a room, please explain why.
  • Exceptions
    • If you will be taking personal time before or after the business portion of the trip, check the "Personal time taken" box. Then, add the personal days in "Details".
    • If you will be departing from somewhere other than Tucson or Phoenix, check the "Miscellaneous" box. Then, clarify the reason in "Details".
  • International Travel

4) Email the form to Dakota Hogeboom as an attachment. You will receive a confirmation once your travel is approved.

Frequently Asked Questions

A Travel Authorization is required when a University of Arizona Employee, Student, or Designated Campus Colleague will be on travel status (at least 35 miles outside of their duty post) and travels on behalf of University business, even if expenses will not be paid by the university (i.e. attending conferences, program reviews, research meetings, etc.). This will ensure that:

  • Travel plans have been authorized by the appropriate departmental approving authority
  • Funds are available
  • The traveler can document their official travel status if needed for Risk Management purposes
  • The travel has a legitimate business purpose, in the best interest of the university
  • The travel meets the IRS Accountable Plan

Ideally, you should submit a form as soon as you know your travel dates. Your travel authorization must be in the travel office prior to your departure. Please allow a minimum of 2 days for processing by our department.

No, you do not need to sign unless you are asking for a Travel Advance. Our authorized department approvers will sign your Travel Authorization.

Please let Isabella Carrillo know as soon as possible.

International trips require you to also register your trip in the UA International Travel Registry at least 30 days prior to departure. To register, visit:

Reimbursement requests must be submitted by Isabella Carrillo via UAccess Financials within 90 days of the purchase date. Please allow up to 2 days for processing. After 90 days, this will considered "income" and thus subject to tax.

Receipts may be delivered electronically but must be good quality and consist of the following:

  • Airfare and lodging must indicate the traveler's name. If it does not, please contact Ioana
  • An itemized list of what was purchased
  • The date(s) of the purchase
  • The name of the vendor
  • Proof of payment


For more information on travel policies and procedures, please contact Administrative Associate Dakota Hogeboom ( or visit

For questions about the Communication Graduate Student Travel Grant, contact Graduate Program Coordinator Ioana Squires  (

For questions about faculty travel funding, please contact Business Manager, Sr. Kimberley Young (