Business Travel Procedures

Are you a Communication employee or graduate student planning to travel on university business? Your travel must be authorized by our department with a Travel Authorization Form prior to your departure. This form is to be signed and authorized by the Department Head or Business Manager and not by the traveler (you).

How to Submit a Travel Authorization Form

1) Visit and search "Travel Authorization Form".
2) Download and save the PDF file.
3) Fill out the following required sections. Note: You do not need to sign this form.
  • Traveler Information
    • Check either Employee (for faculty and staff) or Student
    • Dept/Org Code: 3505
  • Travel Details
    • Business Purpose: What are you attending?
    • Mode of Transportation (i.e., air, car, bus, taxi, etc.)
    • Duty Post: U of A
    • Designated Lodging: Did you reserve a hotel that has the conference discount? If so, check "yes".
  • Exceptions
    • If you will be taking person time before or after the business portion of the trip, check the "Personal time taken". Then, add the personal days in "Details".
    • If you will be departing from somewhere other than Tucson or Phoenix, check the "Miscellaneous" box. Then, clarify the reason in "Details".
  • International Travel
4) Email the form to Marian Wiseley as an attachment. You will receive a confirmation once your travel is approved.

Frequently Asked Questions

When is a Travel Authorization required?
A Travel Authorization is required when a University of Arizona Employee, Student, or Designated Campus Colleague will be on travel status (at least 35 miles outside of their duty post) and travels on behalf of University business, even if expenses will not be paid by the university (i.e. attending conferences, program reviews, research meetings, etc.). This will ensure that:
  • Travel plans have been authorized by the appropriate departmental approving authority,
  • Funds are available,
  • The traveler can document their official travel status if needed for Risk Management purposes,
  • The travel has a legitament business purpose, in the best interest of the university and
  • The travel meets the IRS Accountable Plan.
When should I submit my form?
Ideally, you should submit a form as soon as you know your travel dates. Your travel authorization must be in the travel office prior to your departure. Please allow a minimum of 2 days for processing by our department.
Do I need to sign my Travel Authorization form?
No, you do not need to sign unless you are asking for a Travel Advance. Our authorized department approvers will sign your Travel Authorization.
What if my travel dates change or my trip is canceled?
Please let Marian Wiseley know as soon as possible.
What if I’m going to travel internationally?
International trips require you to also register your trip in the UA International Travel Registry at least 30 days prior to departure. To register, visit:
I am a faculty member and I would like to be reimbursed.
Reimbursement requests must be submitted by Marian Wiseley via UAccess Financials within 90 days of the purchase date. Please allow up to 2 days for processing. After 90 days, this will considered "income" and thus subject to tax.
What is an acceptable receipt?
Receipts may be delivered electronically but must be good quality and consist of the following:
  • Airfare and lodging must indicate the traveler's name. If it does not, please contact Marian.
  • An itemized list of what was purchased
  • The date(s) of the purchase
  • The name of the vendor
  • Proof of payment


For more information on travel policies and procedures, please contact Administrative Associate Marian Wiseley ( or visit
For questions about the Communication Graduate Student Travel Grant, contact Graduate Program Coordinator Daniel Andres Dominguez (
For questions about faculty travel funding, please contact Business Manager, Sr. Kimberley Young (
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences

Quick Links