The Department of Communication Internship Program provides 1, 2, or 3 units of COMM 393 or COMM 493 to undergraduate communication majors or minors who seek to gain professional experience. COMM 393 and COMM 493 count as upper division elective credit.
The students participating in our program gain opportunities to apply their classroom knowledge in professional contexts and to gain meaningful organizational skills, which are important steps in becoming a professional. Students can find internships on their own or use our COMM Digest to find an internship.
The organizations who host interns through our program gain access to undergraduate students who have earned at least 12 units in the Communication major or minor. If your organization has an internship opportunity to offer, please email it to Kaylin Duncan (firstname.lastname@example.org) and, after reviewing the content your advertisement, it will be posted to the COMM Digest.
- Communication major or Communication minor
- Junior (minimum 56 Units) or Senior (minimum 87 Units) status
- Completed 12 units of Communication courses (3 units of which must be numbered 300 or above)
- 2.5 GPA in University of Arizona coursework
- 2.75 GPA in Communication coursework
Applying for Internships
When should I apply?
Apply for internship units prior to the semester/summer session in which you plan to complete the internship so that you are registered before the first day of classes. All summer internship students are registered for 7 Week II Summer units.
We will register students after the fact, but it is to your benefit to have your application submitted prior to the first day of classes.
The following materials should be included in your application:
- Internship application form (download here)
- Unofficial UA transcript
- One to two page prospectus paper addressing the following questions:
- Why are you applying for the experiential learning (internship) class?
- What type of internship are you interested in completing?
- What skills do you possess that qualify you to do this internship?
- What benefits do you expect to gain from the internship experience?
- How do you think this internship will enhance what you have learned in the classroom?
Email your completed application to Kaylin Duncan at email@example.com for review.